Sunday, December 7, 2008

Spending Your Days

I was thinking about the term "spending your days" as in the fact that we spend our days at work. The term implies that work costs you. It costs you your time, time you could be spending on things you enjoy, and with people you love. It costs you your energy, and in many cases it costs you your heart. With all the costs of a career I wonder how many people get to spend their time in a career where the benefits outweigh the costs? I believe that I have found work that definitely is worth the cost, work where I get to see see life changes happening all around me. This poem by Emily Dickinson reminds me of what I get to be a part of every day. The work is slow - changes don't happen overnight, but lives are being touched and yesterday I got to see a beautiful newborn baby who's mother we have had the privilege of helping throughout her pregnancy. The work is definitely worth it!

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.

Emily Dickinson

No comments: