Sunday, February 1, 2009

Shoes for a Better Tomorrow










































Toms is a shoe company started in 2006 by Blake Mycoskie, a guy who decided he wanted to make a difference in others lives. Blake was on a trip to Argentina when he discovered that numerous children did not have any shoes, without which they could not attend school. So he started a company selling shoes designed after the traditional Argentine alpargata - a slip on shoe in bright colors and patterns - with the mission that for every pair of shoes purchased he would donate a pair to a child in need. So far Toms has donated over 1115,000 shoes to children in need in Argentina and South Africa on several Shoe Drop tours. Instead of just starting a charity, Mycoskie used his entrepreneurial experience to start a business that would self fund this charitable venture.

Last year I purchase a pair of Toms for my husband for Valentines day. What is better than a gift that provides for those in need? The shoes are super cute with lots of unique designs, my favorite are the Tiny Toms...I'll have to wait a while before I can buy these!

I love the idea of people taking their resources, in this case a shoe company, and making a difference in the world around them. I'll continue to support companies like Toms who decide to make a difference in the world around them.


No comments: